Here are some photos from a walk-thru at the future home of DRAWN.
Architecture for DRAWN. This project was quite challenging as it was an existing commercial building in a lot zoned for residential. In addition it was built-out to the property lines on all four corners. No parking is associated with site.
A revocable permit was required for the yet-to-be-installed canopy. This project utilizes loads stained plywood panels instead of sheet rock. Lots of existing raw wood left in it’s evolved state with years of incidental graffiti left exposed. This is retro Whiteaker funky, by design.
Architects and designers are seeking novel uses for humble materials; the use of plywood instead of solid wood for a higher aesthetic purpose as a finished surface in living spaces has its benefits.
And have become an accessible way of modernizing and warming an interior for a relatively inexpensive cost. Besides looking great, plywood is stronger, durable and for last but not least what makes plywood even more perfect for furniture-making is surprisingly so much lighter than solid wood.
Here are some Advantages of Plywood over Wood:
1) Expensive timbers go further. A cheap timber can be used for the core, with the expensive timber used on the outside.
2) The size of plywood is not restricted by the size of the tree it came from, but the size of the press table used to make it.
3) Solid wood is 20 times stronger along the grain than across. Plywood over 10mm thick is almost equal in strength in both directions.
4) Timber shrinks mostly across the grain. Shrinkage is almost eliminated in plywood due to the layers being in alternate directions.
5) Plywood can be formed or bent to make a curve.
6) Plywood does not split at the edges when nailed or screwed.